The beginning and end of your Cabot Trail experience
We invite you to our community, to share with us, Cape Breton Island. The Village of Baddeck & Area is centrally located in the heart of one of the most beautiful islands in the world, Cape Breton Island, accessible by land, sea and air. Also located on the world famous Cabot Trail.
Enjoy the natural wonders of our island. Our wildlife includes puffins, bald eagles, seals, whales, moose, foxes, and much more. The masterpiece of all trails, the Cabot Trail, is the cornerstone of our unique scenery. Complemented by the Bras d'Or Lakes, Canada's largest inland sea, and Cape Breton Highlands, our scenery is second to none.
Take a walk in the past and visit the life of Alexander Graham Bell. Experience our Celtic Culture & Heritage. Learn to say a few words of Gaelic, enjoy a Ceilidh- an evening of dance and music, visit a living Scottish museum and the Great Hall of Clans. Play a round of golf at Bell Bay, a world class golf course, or sail the Bras d'Or Lakes. And if this is not enough, we have much more to offer. Our community has the perfect mix of quality service and Cape Breton hospitality. We pride ourselves on having the largest concentration of quality rooms and tourism related facilities on Cape Breton Island.
Suggested Activities & Experiences
- Visit the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site and learn more about one of the world's greatest inventors. New on display this year, a reproduction of Bell's Silver Dart, the first plane to ever fly in Canada in 1909. Try the white Glove Tour.
- Golf Bell Bay Golf Course – one of Canada's top 100 Golf Courses.
- Tour the Cabot Trail, one of North America's top scenic drives, a 3-5 day experience.
- Enjoy a ceilidh in the evening.
- Hike Uisge Ban Falls – two trails – waterfalls and the river trail.
- Enjoy a sailing tour on the Bras d'Or Lakes.
- Explore and discover the culture & heritage of the 1st Nation people at the Wagmatcook Culture & Heritage Centre.
- Take a walk along the boardwalk and enjoy the waterfront. Take the ferry across to Kidston Island and enjoy the hiking trail and the sandy beach.
- Golf Baddeck Forks – a nine hole public golf course with the Crowdis Mountains in the background and Baddeck River below.
- Hike the North River Falls Wilderness Area trail and see Nova Scotia's highest waterfalls – full day hike.
- Rent a kayak and explore the coves along the Bras d'Or Lakes.
- Visit the many quaint and interesting retail and gift shops in the Village of Baddeck.
- Check your e-mail and destinations web sites at the local CAP Site, Baddeck Library
- Tour the St. Ann's Bay region and visit the many artisans at work in their studios and craft shops.
- Take a tour to Bird Islands and see the many unique birds there including the puffins and bald eagles.
- Enjoy the peace and tranquility of trout and salmon fishing on the Baddeck, Middle River and North Rivers.
- Take a leisurely boat ride over to Kidston's Island and enjoy a swim on the sandy beach near the lighthouse or a hike.
- Enjoy a coffee or tea outside at one of the many outdoor cafes in Baddeck.
- Cross Country Ski on some of the local trails or go snowshoeing.
- Snowmobile the highlands – the best snowmobile area in Nova Scotia with dependable snow conditions.
Baddeck & Area is a full service community with over 600 rooms, three campgrounds, Victoria County Welcome Centre (Visitor Information Centre), gas stations, golf courses, National Historic Site,, bank & credit union, ATMs, grocery store, retail stores, marina, yacht club, restaurants, coffee shops & cafes, craft shops, real estate offices, post office, hospital, liquor store, lawyers, insurance people, spa, etc.
Community Web site: visitbaddeck.com
Photo credits - Wally Hayes